Tuesday, May 11, 2010

You're standing on my neck

Back before YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and even MySpace, the best was for teens to show their disillusionment and share their angst with the world (besides dying their hair, piercing their faces and tattooing a picture of the Sex Pistols on their forearms) was to gather around this glowing box called television. And leading the charge for the misanthropic everywhere was the original bespectacled, combat boot wearing Misery Chick, Daria Morgendorffer. While shows like “My So-Called Life,” brought the raw emotion of being a teen in the 90s into sharp focus, “Daria” shone a light on the absurd. Her weapons of choice were sarcasm and smarts. So, naturally, she was one of my heroes. And now, finally, she’s also mine to own. “Daria: The Complete Animated Series” came out on DVD today. I was lucky enough to score an advance copy. The show stands up just as well today as when it went off the air eight years ago. So now my fondest hope is that a whole new generation of too smart to fit in, too sarcastic to care fans is born and can revel in the collected wit and wisdom of Daria. La la la la la. La la la la la.


UPDATE: Yes, 99 percent of the music has changed because of copyright issues. But, to be honest, it isn't that glaring. And the witty dialog hasn't changed one bit.

14 comments:

Raven said...

OMFG Daria! 7 years ago it was my favorite show, and now, it's always the best!

Norma Desmond said...

You know, I don't think I've ever actually seen an episode of this show...

Anonymous said...

i pre-ordered this for my best friend for his birthday. we're planning a daria party:) i love this show so much. it's one of the few things mtv produced that doesn't suck haha.
ms. snarker, i've been meaning to comment for awhile, my day wouldn't start without this blog. i look forward to it every morning,so thank you for all your witty and thoughtful writing, and of course ladies in tank tops :)

Anonymous said...

I was so upset when MTV stopped airing Daria. I mean, I'm one of these so-called "21st Century kids" but I knew where it was at: Daria. Is it wrong to say I was attracted to her? The girl had smarts and wits abound. Daria folks my World.

Anonymous said...

Any idea when it'll be released in the UK?

Laura said...

Wow, many years ago I signed a petition to get the dvd set made!! I can't believe it actually happened!! I know what I'm getting for my birthday!!

RizzRustbolt said...

"I will kill you, and bury your body in this dress."

Ah... That takes me back.

Anonymous said...

the lalalala~ part
I feel almost hear it.
exactly the tone she talks,

very weird.

thanks for the post ds,

and one more thing,
I'm not standing on.. so
don't count me!

Anonymous said...

you don't need to back
please go.

elliB said...

I loved that show and was waiting for the day when Daria and Jane hooked up. I preordered my copy from Amazon but according to the email it just shipped and should be here by the 16th. What was the point of preordering months ago if I get it a week later than everyone else? Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I read that 99% of the original music was cut out or replaced. True?

Packrat said...

God, I loved Daria. I can't wait to see these again.

Unknown said...

I've had the series for about 2 weeks now, but it is disappointing. The missing music is definitely noticeable.

alisha said...

"I don't have low self-esteem Its a mistake. I have low esteem for everybody else" O man I've been quoting these things for ages haha ! This made my day.