Monday, October 13, 2014

Howdy, Partner

Straight girls, amirite? It’s a tale as old as time, tune as old as song, beauty and the ultimately unattainable straight girl. I’ve been hearing a lot of good rumblings about “Life Partners” since Cannes this spring. The story of two co-dependent female friends – one gay and one straight played by Gossip Girl’s Leighton Meester and Community’s Gillian Jacobs, respectively. But I wasn’t totallyintoitlikeomg until I saw the trailer. And, immediately, it struck that chord of female friendship I think we’ve all had at some point in our lives. That friend you feel certain you can’t live without. Until, for some of us, one day we do. Of course, it becomes especially complicated in a straight girl-lesbian relationship. Can I get an “Amen!” But it’s not just the gay lady, straight lady dynamic that makes me want to see this movie. It’s that really good movies about the complicated, weird and often so incredibly wonderful thing that is female friendships don’t get made that often. At least not ones that don’t use singing into a hairbrush together as shorthand for emotional depth. So sign me me. I’m there. Just don’t break my heart, straight girl. Or gay girl. Really, just be nice to one another. Sorry, am I rambling? I do that sometimes with my female friends. Don’t worry, I know you understand. Right, friend?

4 comments:

Helena said...

Understood Ms Snarker.

TrueTor said...

It does not disappoint. I saw it at Fresno's Reel Pride Film Festival last month and loved it! It shows how friendships can be almost perfect, messy, frustrating, wonderful and complicated all at once. I can't wait to see it again.

Anonymous said...

It looks really good. This happens to straight women when one of them meets someone and the other is left out and there is a lot of angst and drama.

Anonymous said...

You had me at Leighton Meester. I think she's underrated as an actress and glad to see her spreading her wings. Sounds like a really good story, too.