Thursday, October 02, 2014

Last Girl

So yesterday was the last day of filming on “Lost Girl.” The. Last. Day. I can’t really wrap my head around this although I knew it was going to happen and had accepted its inevitability. Still, the finality of losing this show is only now just setting in.

I think it was the tweets of the show’s stars that made it finally real:


For those of us who have watched all these years, this is a bittersweet moment. It’s sweet, because the cast and crew were given the respect to go out with a proper final season. But it’s also bitter because these stories could have go on for so much longer.

It really doesn’t seem all that long ago that a reserved human doctor found herself lost in the beauty of a mysterious succubus patient. It was in that moment where Lauren let her fingertips linger seconds too long and too far along the epic curves of Bo’s back that I knew I was a goner.

Has it been perfect? No, of course not. There have been missteps and misfires and missed opportunities. But what it has done during its time on the air is worth recognizing because of its singularity. This is the first show (broadcast or cable) to air in the U.S. that features a bisexual female character as its central character. Not as part of a main ensemble, not as a secondary character, not as a sidekick, not as a plot device – as the lead. Bo is the Lost Girl. And this is Bo’s show.

That alone would make the show special, but that it has never tiptoed around (or even made a big deal of) Bo’s sexuality is extraordinary on its own. Bo is bisexual and thus has relationships and sex with women and men. How could she not? She’s a succubus: it’s kind of her raison d’être. In representing those relationships (and hookups) the show has never flinched or flailed. Sure, we may not agree with which team she picks at any given moment (Team Doccubus 4 Lyfe, yo). But they were all there out in the open for us to love or hate, come what may.

I wish more people had found Lost Girl during its run. Granted, it’s not for everyone. But it’s good, really good, fun. This show deserves more credit than it has received, and more of a following. But those who are tuned in are fiercely loyal for a reason. I am going to miss the hell out of this crazy little show.

Lost Girl is (almost) over. Long live Lost Girl.

14 comments:

Panty Buns said...

I LOVE "Lost Girl", Zoie Palmer and Anna Silk!!!!!!!!!! I found it on NetFlix and was hooked, binge-watching the four seasons they have to date. I can't wait to be able to watch the fifth Season. It's wonderful that the fifth season will have been a full one but it's an absolute tragedy that it's a "final" one. I could watch Bo and Lauren (Anna Silk and Zoie Palmer) being in each others arms kissing forever. Zoie has become my favourite actress. Zoie and Lost Girl forever!

http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

Carmen SanDiego said...

Sadness ensues :(

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing about this wonderfully fun, sometimes campy, sometimes profoundly moving show. Like Panty Buns, I came late to this show via Netflix and Amazon. It has been a wonderful experience watching this ensemble cast work so well together on screen. The love scenes between Bo and both Dr. lauren Lewis and Wolf/detective Dyson have been erotic, tender, fierce, and respectful. Cheers to the actors, producers, and crew for their historic contribution to popular culture.

Kaz said...

There is no emoji that expresses my sadness at the ending of Lost Girl.

I hold out hope for Lost Girl movies !

Anonymous said...

I think it is a real shame to close the chapter on all the characters...we in Canada recognize and know a lot of the primary actors like the morrigan and Bo's mum have been in many other jobs and appreciate all the better the writers giving terrific lines to everyone! They had me laughing so hard at times that I had hoped to remember them to use them somewhere and somehow.
Zoe and Anna were super together as was wolfie....I am sure many will disagree but it was nice to see wolfie without much clothing as he did represent Canada in the Hepathalon for a few years....
Here's to hoping for a few more scenes with Anna and Zoie figuring out what sides they will take in faedom!

Anonymous said...

I'm a doccubus fan but a levony shipper too. Hm, if Bo and Lauren will really talk and have respectful relationship, then I think its good for them to be together. But as for now, I think levony has greater potential for a real good relationship.

Anonymous said...

I like levony more in terms of relationship. They talk a lot more. Plus its sexy.

Anonymous said...

My heart hurts :'(
I found out about Lost Girl through a friend late in 2012 and have been hooked to it ever since.
I shall forever be grateful to Anna Silk & Zoie Palmer for portraying one of the most passionate, real and epic couple in the world of Television.
Lost Girl means a lot to a lot of fans,a little show that became big and created an impact.
Thank you for five memorable years.
You made a difference.

Anonymous said...

I have been a Lost Girl since Fae 1, so I'm taking it a bit hard, those tweets and that we wont even again get a more crazy adventures - its tough. Cheezey but true this show with its main protaganist WOMAN, flawed, interesting, strong, capable, and her relationships, esp w/ her bestie Kenz, it all spoke to me and gave me hope. For diversity and acceptance - more today than we had before it kicked ass on the tube, thank you team Lost Girl xoxo

Anonymous said...

Lost Girl will be "officially" over when the last episode of Season 5 fades to black in Canada, USA, UK, and every nation around the world where it's broadcast. But as long as the LGBT community == and lesbians in particular == remember its groundbreaking small screen portrayal of two women in love and yearning for each other, Lost Girl will never really be gone. And DVDs, Blu-rays, and Lost Girl Wiki will not let us forget.

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I never knew.

FML.

Gutted

Granted last season was SHIT but still.

imadreamer said...

Maybe it is a little show but it has done way better than all the big US ones in term of characters's relationships. They all felt true, we could feel the love between each person in the triangle and outside. It has great humour delivered by actors we'd all like to meet (admit it). And yes, it has been a shock to hear this season is the last one but honestly, isn't it better to have a show we love comes to a proper end? I thank the show's runners for that. For once, we'll have a real end to a show that is still enjoyable (aka not stretch to a 10th and desperate season). Thanks to all the cast and crew.

Unknown said...

Have been hooked since day one on SyFy, a loyal but not always entirely happy fan and couldn't agree more with your posting. Loved the girls-all of them, Bo, Lauren, Kenzie and even Tamzin because they were all comfortable in their own sexual skin and could kick some ass. hopefully they will live on in fanfiction. Long live Lost girl!!

Anna said...

I can't even begin to describe how the first two seasons of this show made me feel when I first saw them. This show has helped me accept myself and for that I'm forever grateful.

Also, who can forget the epic Lost Girl v Grey's Anatomy fandom clash of the 2013 AE March Madness tournament!?